Wednesday, May 10, 2017

Seeing where it will all go down

Yesterday felt like it was all about baby.  First the furniture I ordered for her room was delivered.  I'm very pleased with the sizing and the color - it matches QUITE well with the crib and the changing topper.

Last night we the headed north to the hospital for a tour of the facility.  Once again I am pretty sure I was the least far along of the mothers there.  I don't know what I was expecting, but I had a few moments while there.

First, I could clearly see their agenda painted on things.  I don't mind a hospital saying "we recommend" or "we encourage" but I do not like hearing "here at ... we always" or "required".  Mmm, no.  This makes me instantly want to resist because I know my opinions/concerns won't be received much less considered.  I'm stubborn, this I know.  There are some things I can waffle on - like their view of bedding in vs having a little bit of quiet time w/ the kid in the nursery and there are some things that I will dig my heels in on.

Second, I was ready to cry a little - maybe nerves?  It didn't feel more real, but it definitely feels more imminent to be there and see where it will all go down.  It was pretty quiet there, only a few doors closed which I presume contained mothers who recently gave birth.

Finally, it was nice to see the security measures they have in place to protect your baby, but at the same time it was also a little unnerving to even think about that being a necessity - which then gave me the wee bit of panic that leads me to say I am willing to waffle on the bedding in vs nursery thing.  With all of the things they "require" testing your child on I kind of don't want them taking my child from my sight for fear they'll be assessing and sticking her with needles unbeknownst to me.  Well hello there overprotective mothering instinct.

Little one on the other hand has been exceedingly peaceful the past day or so.  Time for me to get up, move around, and get her moving a little bit too.