Wednesday, May 3, 2017

Gearing up for the shift into overdrive

This morning I spoke with a photographer and got on her calendar for maternity photos.  I'm a little uneasy about this, but better to have them and never share them with the world than regret not having them.  Unless something catastrophic happens with this photo shoot, I will also have the photographer do newborn shots too, but for obvious reasons we cannot book a date for that.

Quick appointment today - all looks well.  This was the first visit they took a measurement to the top of the fundus and she stated I was good there.  I was surprised the heart rate was back up to 160 again, but they say that is within normal range.

I asked about the shape of my stomach when I flex the muscles, let's say to sit up from a laying position.  This is diastasis recti and she also said this is common during pregnancy - but it's kind of creepy to know that my stomach muscles are separating.  From what I read this can aggravate lower back pain and pelvic instability - so I'm glad I also asked about visiting a chiropractor and got the thumbs up there.  My hips have gotten out of alignment in the past and I suspect it is likely to occur as we progress.  I've also read that adjustments later in pregnancy can also help ensure an easier delivery.  No guarantees, but if there's a chance why not, right?

One more 4-week span before the next appointment and then into 3-week spans.  Next visit we also do the glucose test.  Now let's take a look at this syrup they call glucosa.  I wasn't thrilled about it to begin with.  The last time I had a sugary soda (since I'm no longer a soda drinker) I felt ill all evening, almost like you would if you were boozing too hard.  Now I get this thing and see what's in it - crap you shouldn't be drinking, much less if you're pregnant.  Bleh.

On a bright note, kiddo gets to attend her first hockey game tonight!  I wonder if I'll feel her reacting to the crowd (or hopefully the horn).