Sunday, July 29, 2018

Major Tumble

Friday night we had our first major tumble.  It was about 45 minutes before bedtime, she was cruising about and stepped to move between her octopus ball toy and the coffee table.  Well, the coffee table was a bit further away than she had estimated.  I watched it from part way across the living room as she went forward, smashing her nose and lower face into the side of the coffee table.

Her nose was bleeding and talk about inconsolable crying.  I am not going to lie, I was terrified.  I held her and we dabbed the bit of blood.  Debating if we needed to go to the ER, her Dad searching the internet, and I clung to her, trying to get her calmed.  About 15 minutes later as she calmed down she started to seem drowsy, but it was close to her bedtime - tell me that doesn't compound your worries, even if you know she didn't hit the upper part of her face/head.

We got her totally calmed and down to bed with just a bit of tylenol for pain, but then woke her lightly 2 hours later to make sure she still seemed herself.  I didn't get a lot of sleep last night - no surprise, right?  She woke and cried out a few times requiring consolation and holding which is SUPER abnormal for her. I suspect she rolled and bumped a tender part.

Once I felt better that there wasn't a big concern of major issues and my mind calmed a little all I could think was "her beautiful face... please Lord, protect that beautiful face".  I fully expected to find two black eyes this morning.  Thank God she looks wonderful today, maybe a slight bit of swelling across her nose and that's it.  When she woke from her nap today she had a little more snotty blood coming out.  That and a small mark on her lip that looks more like she scratched herself and that's it.  We are so lucky.

This just was a bad week for sure with her going down ill and her fall. In between I went down a bit ill, probably with whatever she had, but fortunately it wasn't coming out as vomit.  Friday evening was quite a challenge to keep up with her as she was feeling well again, but I certainly was not - and very weak.  Thank goodness I went to bed immediately after she did on Friday night and I got 10 1/2 hours of sleep to help keep me covered for my lack of sleep the night before and then after she fell.

Another new food to report as well - rhubarb!