Thursday, September 20, 2018

Straws and Spoons

Just a general update about feeding developments.  At present, Avery still is very selective about the chunks she'll accept (instead of spitting them out with a look of disdain).  Teether cookies are fine, as are corn flakes and an occasional bite of chicken or pork, but most anything else that is not pureed is spat back out.  This is a normal phase, but dang it's an annoying one.

I was able to trick her into a bite or two by putting the spoon in her hand and helping her to guide the food into her mouth.  Being able to do this pleased her greatly.

When it comes to our drinks, we'll take the sippy cup for water, but not milk.  Oh no.  That simply must be in her bottle.  At least there hasn't been an ounce of resistance (or reaction beyond her control) to the milk transition.  Of course, I have enough formula that, served at this slower pace, will last us for a while.

The other discovery was that Avery is able to use a straw, a skill she no doubt developed thanks to the sippy cup practice.  I handed her my water with a straw in a restaurant and to my surprise I quickly felt the cold of the water under my fingers where I held onto the top of the straw.