Friday, May 25, 2018

Heavy Metal Baby

Avery was 9 months old yesterday!  Unfortunately for her, other than a few photos with a 9 month sticker the biggest event of the day was heading for her 9 month well visit.  Fortunately she only needed one shot on this trip, but she also had to have her sweet little toe stuck for blood.

Even sitting her down on the table in the examination room just to get her down to her diaper she knew something was up (I swear she remembers it already) and she started crying.  When I picked her up she nestled into my chest hiding.

All is well with her, except the blood test says that her lead levels are slightly high.  You can imagine I'm surprised and my mind is everywhere trying to figure out what on earth could be the cause, such that I can eliminate it.  The house is newer, so it isn't lead pipes - at least not IN my house, but at the same time, I make all of her formula from bottled water, not tap.  I was ready to take her pacifier clips away, as she insists upon putting the metal end in her mouth if she can get to it, but all of those clearly state on their listings that they are lead free.  I'm thinking through everything we have for her.

The more you look into it, the scarier it becomes -- baby food testing positive for lead and arsenic, toys.  Does Amazon sell a baby bubble?  Oh wait, that could be contaminated too.

I did mention it to daycare, just in case another parent reports something similar - and they said they'll reassess toys again too.  Maybe it was from while we were on vacation?  The only thing I know for sure is waiting until her 12 month appointment to test again seems like a very long time.

She weighed in at 20# 5 1/2oz, measured 26 1/2" tall, and had a 18" noggin.  She is low in the percentile for height (no surprise if that measurement is right as she only grew a half an inch) but higher on the weight.